Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Not just a name!

Last week, I took care of Caleb's birth certificate and Social Security card. In the moments when I first saw both documents, I got a little teary-eyed. It got me wondering if all mothers are affected by the sight of their child's name on paper, or if this is more of an adoptive mother "thing." Maybe it's just me...which is ok.

It started for me the day that we created our Covenant (adoption agreement) with Brooke. On the document, Cissy (the counselor) wrote out his name because Brooke indicated that it would be used on his original birth certificate. Matt and I had written out the name before, but it was different this time. This time, there was actually a baby that would receive the name. It had more meaning. As Cissy handed us the document, I got a chill because it was actually happening!

Once Caleb was born, his name was everywhere. Insurance cards. Adoption agency documents. Barnes & Noble Birthday Club Card. Each time something arrived bearing his name, it had the same effect. At the risk of sounding cheesy, there was something magical about seeing it on paper. I don't know if I can really describe this to you, but I hope that you can somewhat understand what I'm talking about. I assumed that the feeling would wane over time. After all, if we say it and write it all the time, it has to lose steam at some point...right? Not yet.

Maybe it's because our road to a child was fairly long. Maybe I am just in love with my son. Whatever the reason, seeing his name makes me so appreciative of what I have. Literally each time I see it written out, I take a moment to thank God for such a precious gift.

You may or may not have experienced this yourself. I hope you have because it's amazing.

Caleb Josiah Fischer...ahhh!

1 comment:

  1. Not just an adoptive mom thing, though it has waned for me over time. But that first time seeing her name on the birth certificate was amazing. :-)

    ~Jen

    ReplyDelete