Friday, May 3, 2013

Selfish or Healthy?

In classic "me" fashion, I am trying to solve a problem that is not actually a problem yet. I feel like I have an answer, but maybe getting it all out will help.

In late June, we are celebrating our 10th anniversary. We've been talking about this anniversary for a few years now, and had planned a weeklong trip to a beach resort in Cancun. As things picked up with Alex, we realized that a weeklong trip may not be the best idea, especially given that we had no idea how things would go. We agreed to pare it down to a long weekend near Temecula. As we started planning, I was so excited - wine tasting, a morning at the spa, actually being able to sleep in...you get the idea.

Based on what our case manager has shared with me, we should be licensed in mid-June. Our guess is that we'd be able to pick him up shortly thereafter. I suppose I should emphasize the word "guess" in that last sentence. Everything is dependent on the communication between Nevada and Arizona.

Our dilemma is: what happens if we are able to pick him up before our trip? Do we delay pick-up so that we can go on our vacation alone, or do we pick him up as soon as possible and take him along? Being a foster child, we don't think that we would be able to leave him with anyone else. Besides, I'm not going to want to let that little man out of my sight once we bring him home! At the same time, Matt and I really need a chance to go on a trip by ourselves. To be better parents, we need a few moments to relax and renew our energy. I don't think delaying pick-up by a week or so would be the end of the world, especially given that he is living with an amazing family right now.

Now, there is always the chance that we aren't able to pick him up until July anyway, but as you probably already know, I like to overthink life. My philosophy has been to look at the different possible outcomes of a situation so that I don't feel shocked when it actually happens - hoping that one of my guesses is correct.

Ultimately, we'll just figure it out as it comes. Either way, we'll get a weekend in Southern California. :)

1 comment:

  1. I hope that you guys get your weekend away! We know how much mommy and daddy time means! Sad that you had to change your trip from Cancun though, that would have been amazing!! We can also keep an extra baby or two if you need us to!! :) Hope that sweet baby gets to come home soon!

    ReplyDelete