Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Keeping family together

Yesterday, I read a story about a family that has adopted 8 boys, all from the same birth mother. The adoptive mom said that she felt that she had to keep them together. So, each time the birth mother contacted her about a pregnancy, they opened up their home to one more child. What an amazing family!

If I'm being honest, this is something I fear. You see, while we have three siblings, there are a few others that were born before CJ. Chances are strong that there will be more siblings in the future. What are we going to do if we get called about another pregnancy?

On one hand, I could not imagine someone else taking care of my boys' brother or sister. How would we explain to our boys that they have another sibling that was born after them that we chose not to parent? If we met that child one day, how would we explain that we adopted three of his/her brothers, but chose not to adopt him/her? On the other hand, affording another adoption would put a huge financial strain on our family. It's not as though this is a cheap process, and we have three boys that we need to support. My head spins just thinking about this.

Obviously, this whole post is kind of putting the cart before the horse (because there is currently no baby on the way), but I feel like I need to be prepared with what to say and do if this does happen. I just pray that we don't have to make that choice. If one day we do, I trust that God will show us exactly how to handle it.

No comments:

Post a Comment