Friday, March 15, 2013

Hurry Up and Wait!

Anyone who has been through, or currently going through, the adoption process knows the concept of "hurry up and wait." It seems like every step of the way, we rush to get things done, only to wait for results. Right now, we are working on our home study so that we can take temporary custody of baby Alex. Thankfully, the agency we are working with will work on expediting the process for us, since little Alex already made his appearance. We've been so rushed to figure things out, that I now feel like I'm not even sure what is next.

Here are the tasks we've been given so far:

1. Fingerprinting - we got this done last Friday (two days after they asked us to get them done). We were pretty excited that NV uses livescan instead of ink & paper). Unfortunately, it can take up to 8 weeks to get the results back. We're hoping that they come back in the shorter end of the spectrum (3-4 weeks).

2. Reference forms - ok, so we didn't get these, but the five fabulous people who offered to be references received them. We picked some good people; most of them have already started working on the answers!

3. Doctors appointments and blood work - we didn't have to have any blood testing done with CJ's adoption, but our current agency does require it. Amazingly enough, I was already able to see a doctor and get the necessary testing done. Matt's appointment is coming up. I was really glad that CJ did not require an appointment or blood work. I just had to submit a form to his pediatrician, who already finished it!

The agency is taking care of all of the background details and waiting for our background checks to come back. We're hopeful that we can begin scheduling in-person interviews next week. If our estimate is correct, we should be able to finish our home study by mid-April.

I have to remind myself that the waiting process can be just as useful as the moments when we are busy. I need to take this time to appreciate the last weeks of having just one child. I can be reading more books. I can try to squeeze in a date or two with Matt, because I doubt many date nights will happen when Alex comes to stay. I get so caught up in the business of life, that I forget to just sit back and appreciate what the Lord has given me. I'm very blessed, and I don't take enough time to simply enjoy life.

Thanks for the continued prayers! We'll keep you posted!

3 comments:

  1. I read your initial post on this as we were on our way to celebrate my son's birthday with this birthparents and just haven't had a chance to respond yet. You & Matt are unbelievable examples! My husband and I both fear/dread/halfway hope for (so many mixed emotions!) a second baby from our sons birthparents. Kudos to you & Matt for stepping up and doing everything you can to help out baby Alex! You've all been in my prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking about you guys, and hoping for a speedy process!! Enjoy your time with CJ while you can as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of the prayers are greatly appreciated! The only way we're making it through this process is with the help of God. He has given us the strength to keep moving forward. I'm just so grateful that we have a chance to bring CJ's half brother home, even if it ends up being a temporary placement.

    ReplyDelete