Friday, January 31, 2014

Frustrating Mommy Moments

Lately, CJ's behavior has had a lot of ups and downs. People were not kidding when they warned us that the Terrible 2s are actually the Terrible 3s. My sweet little boy has turned into a lunatic! Despite the fact that Matt and I have tried be consistent in dealing with things, nothing has helped. My frustration level has been at an all-time high. I have spent more time googling things like "how to stop by 3-year old from hitting" than I'd like to admit.

I understand that he is only 3 years old, and he is a boy. His energy level is indescribable. Literally, I sat here for at least 5 minutes trying to think of way to describe it, and I came up empty. If he would focus that energy into positive things, it would be one thing. Reality is that he started becoming aggressive and slightly nasty at times. I know that some of his behavior is age-appropriate. My fear is that if we don't nip this now, it will grow into something worse.

I started talking to friends, researching online and reading parenting books. In a moment of clarity (a RARE moment in my life), I finally spent some time thinking about what I could be doing differently. I realized a few things:

1. I need to pray about this daily, asking God to focus CJ's energy and control my frustration/anger. I cannot rely on my own devices because clearly they were not working. When I start my day with prayer, I feel like I'm automatically starting off on a positive note with CJ.

2. He absolutely needs time each day to run around or ride his bike. When he doesn't have enough exercise, there is a definite change in his behavior and mood. I've made more of an effort to get him outside and I've noticed a change.

3. When I really looked at things, I recognized that my reaction to his behavior has been due to my fear of judgment from other parents. I was afraid people would think less of me as a mother because my son can be a terror sometimes. I think being a stay-at-home mom makes me more sensitive to this because I feel a greater level of responsibility. If I'm with him the majority of the time, naturally it would be my fault if he acts a little nuts sometimes...right? No, but that is how it feels sometimes!

And finally...

4. I cannot control his behavior all the time, but I can always control how I react to his behavior. I used to get so riled up when he would act out. Ok, I'll be honest, I exploded at times. I mean, seriously, how many times should I have to ask him not to rub peanut butter in his hair?! I started to keep my reactions in check, and sure enough, he started changing too. When I stay calm through my frustration, he follows my lead.

The past three days have been great with him! In addition to those four things, I started using a "Good Choices Chart" to reward him for good behavior. It's nothing more than a basic chart with a picture of Mickey Mouse that he gets to put a sticker on, but he loves it. I am also planning to starting using a few essential oils on him to balance him out a bit. Those efforts, combined with a calmer approach to parenting, will hopefully get us successfully through the Terrible 3s. :)

3 comments:

  1. Katie, I am so excited to hear that it is only going to get better!! :) Right now B is going through some terrible 2s, but I know when he doesn't get to go to school the days are so much longer for him since he is stuck inside!! I will continue to pray for you and CJ, and pray that we can see each other soon too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, love this, love this! I actually have a post planned for next week with some very similar points. I think you know after Sierra's baptism that our boys have some similar challenges. I too was really struggling to deal with Parker's behavior effectively and was basically feeling like an incompetent mother-- always a good time. It's been getting somewhat better recently (like within the past few days), and I've been using similar techniques to you. Walking with God throughout the day definitely helps me stay calm and in a more positive state of mind. I was finding the same thing as you: that when I let his behavior cause me to fall apart, then he REALLY falls apart. If I stay calm and in control, then I can get him to behave again. Outdoor time... I 100% agree! That energy needs someplace to go if I don't want want it to be directed toward him destroying my house or my sanity and if I want him to be able to take a nap. Anyway, point being... you are not alone, and you are doing a good job! Learning how to parent a rambunctious 3 year is HARD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! I think the biggest thing is knowing that we are not alone in these battles! You don't always see everyone else's kids going nuts, so you wonder if anyone else is dealing with this. We'll make it through together!!

    ReplyDelete