Thursday, May 29, 2014

Taking time to play

Last night, I did something that I have not done in a long time. After the girls I watch were picked up, I did nothing but play with CJ until Matt got home from work. Please don't think that I completely ignore CJ in the evening (if you've met him you would know that would be impossible). Typically, I will play with him in brief spurts, in between cleaning up and making dinner. I allow my to-do list to take charge.

I'll admit, at first I did start to clean up a few things around the house. CJ walked over and asked "Mom, do you want to play with me?" I paused for a moment and realized that there will quickly come a time when he stops asking me that question. Despite the house being a little messy and dinner needing to be made, I opted to play.

We went out into the backyard and had a water gun fight. It was awesome! We laughed, screamed, and ran around the backyard soaking wet. For 30 minutes this went on. It was not until Matt got home from work that I realized that I really needed to make dinner because he had to leave soon for bible study.

After dinner, CJ and I took Kiko on a walk and went to the library. We got back from the library and got in his space ship (aka the space between our couches) and flew to McDonalds where he ordered chicken nuggets and a hamburger. After our delicious "dinner," he used ribbons to make me look like a princess and we flew home.

I couldn't have had more fun if I tried!

CJ's behavior has been a bit of an issue lately, but last night, he was great. Over the past few months, I've spent so much time trying to find solutions to his behavior. We've tried everything...or so I thought. Instead of changing CJ, I should have been looking at how to change my own behavior. I firmly believe that kids need time to play by themselves, but I also think that they need focused 1:1 time with mom and/or dad.

I am setting a goal to not be so focused on my to-do list. I want to take advantage of the opportunities to have a water gun fight or take CJ's space ship to McDonalds. I want to ignore the clutter and just have fun!



3 comments:

  1. Absolutely agree! Those are the moments you'll both remember.

    It is such a balancing act-- managing responsibilities and taking time for what is really important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! That sounds like such an amazing evening Katie! CJ probably preferred McDonald's anyways :) Give him hugs for us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I'm so glad that our boys have such vivid imaginations!! I hope you have many more adventures to McDonalds, and lots of dress up days!!

    ReplyDelete