Wednesday, June 11, 2014

A little bit nuts

I'd like to think that I've kept things together pretty well over the past week. For whatever reason, it all hit me yesterday.

A rush of crazy came over me as I was e-mailing our adoption agency while talking to DCFS on the phone. It was in that moment that I realized that we are adopting two kids. We are trying to balance two processes at the same time. For those who have experienced adoption, you know that it can be a daunting process at times. To do it twice...well, that's just a little bit nuts. I told Matt last night that I need a giant white board with a line down the middle to keep track of what needs to be done for each child's adoption.

I think I got it out of my system yesterday, and now I can focus on what needs to get done. Here is where we are with each child:

Alex:
DCFS, here in Clark County, is working on completing our file. They received the ICPC referral from Arizona and are now updating our license. Our fingerprints expired, so we are going on Saturday to get those done. We may have to do a second set (one for licensing, one for ICPC), but they are hoping that we don't. Soon after, we will have our home visit. During this time, we will meet with an ICPC worker to update our information and a Licensing worker to walk through our home. Thankfully, there is very little we will have to do to prepare for this visit. We also have to complete four hours of online training. I'm not excited about it, but I am very grateful that it is online and not in person!

Baby:
As of right now, we don't have any specific to-do items. Our adoption agency is working on our file. As soon as our fingerprints come back (we had to get our fingerprints done separately for them), they will begin our home study. They have already connected with their Arizona office and are working on the best plan of action for when the baby arrives. The director has assured me that our home study should be complete by the end of July! They are wonderful!

In addition to what our agency and DCFS are requiring, we are going through the process of trying to mentally prepare for what the next few months will bring. I know it will not be easy, but I don't think I'm fully grasping how our family is about to change. With the support we have from friends and family, I'm pretty confident that we will be just fine!




1 comment:

  1. Yep, one adoption process at a time would seem intense enough! Maybe this way the one crazy will distract from the other crazy, and vise versa?! Here's to hoping! Too bad CJ probably doesn't want to be "just like Mom and Dad" badly enough to fill out some paperwork :)

    ReplyDelete