Tuesday, July 8, 2014

It's OK to ask for help!

Last week was one of the most draining of my life. As you know, we are in the process of getting licensed as a foster home while, at the same time, getting our paperwork together to start a home study with a private adoption agency. That alone has given me anxiety, but adding in a medical emergency nearly put me over the edge. Despite Matt being in the hospital for three days, I managed to survive, but only with the help of an amazing community.

I am not the mom who asks for help, even when I desperately need it. I do not easily admit when I am in over my head. I like to think that I can keep it together at all times. It was during the craziness of last week that God reminded me that I am not Supermom, nor should I try to be. He has blessed me with a community of family and friends that support my family through any situation we may encounter. Between prayer, childcare and food, I was overwhelmed by the help we received (and continue to receive).

I know how busy everyone is, which makes it even more special that they dropped things to help us. Being able to text friends and ask if they could watch CJ in the next 30 minutes is such a blessing. For one of my friends, I literally showed up on her doorstep at 9pm with CJ's pillow and asked if he could spend the night. Without hesitation, my friends said "yes." Within hours of being at the hospital, we had a meal schedule planned out. One friend even washed the dishes in my sink while she watched CJ.

When the insanity wore off, and life returned to "normal," I stopped to think about what I should take away from this experience. And then it hit me...God may just be preparing me for what is coming in 3-4 weeks. When we suddenly add two children to our family, I will most definitely need to ask for help. Maybe this was just a trial run to help me prep what for what is next. Whatever the reason, I'm glad I was reminded that that we all need to ask for help sometimes.




No comments:

Post a Comment