Monday, June 3, 2013

One Step Closer!!

We are now one step closer to bringing Alex home! On Friday night, we attended our final kinship foster training class. I wish I could say that we ended the class with positive attitudes, but that just wouldn't be true. In fact, I think my blood pressure actually went up during this final session. It was as if the people in our class realized that this was their last chance to share facts about their lives, so they wanted to purge everything. The instructors actually wanted to let us out early, but they could not control the random stories, thoughts and complaints that our classmates had to share. We ended up leaving just 10 minutes early.

The last three weeks, we've talked about discipline, boundaries and the logistics of foster care. I've found little tidbits of helpful info each week, but in general much of what was discussed was also shred in our adoption class. I actually appreciated this last session. I took the class in hopes of learning the rules and regulations, timeline, and logistics of being a foster parent. Well, in all reality I took the class because I had to, but I had decided to use the experience to better understand what we were committing to. This last class finally clarified several questions that we had going into the process.

I have been surprised by some of the differences between foster care and adoption. In the end, I'm glad we had to take the class because I did learn a lot about the requirements needed to be a foster family. I just hope we can remember all those details when we're in the middle of trying to parent two children.




1 comment:

  1. You will do great!! You guys are amazing parents, and God is on your side!! Can't wait to see you guys soon, and meet that precious baby!!

    ReplyDelete