Friday, January 2, 2015

Goals for 2015

We're two days into the new year, and I'm already stressed out. How is that possible? Oh yeah, I've got three kids (two of whom has been over-the-top moody the past few days). After spending a little time thinking about my interactions with the kids lately, I decided I needed to set some goals for myself.

In no particular order...

1. To not let my anger/frustration boil over in the heat of the moment - my kids know exactly how to push my buttons! The problem is, I've given them that ability. Lately, I have let them get to me even more than normal. It isn't healthy for any of us to have me angry, yelling or upset. I know they will continue to do things that drive me nuts, but I am going to choose to stop and say a quick prayer before I react.

2. To forgive myself for mistakes that I make, and not dwell on them - there are things I do everyday that I feel bad about. I get upset with my husband, kids and dog. I make selfish choices. I let people down (unintentionally). From here on out, I am going to pray about it and then let it go. I will not let my mistakes define who I am as a wife, mother or friend.

3. To spend quality time with each child - with three kids, it is almost impossible to really put in the time that I would like with each of them individually. It may not be everyday, but I am determined to give all three boys time with me on a regular basis. I want their memories to consist of me taking time to just be with them, as opposed to getting things done for them.

4. To give Matt his rightful place as head of our household - I am strong-willed...to put it mildly. Sometimes (ok, a lot more than I'd like to admit) I do not show Matt the respect he deserves. My hope it to put his needs ahead of my own, knowing that he is trying to do the same.

5. To spend time daily with the Lord - I receive one or two devotions through e-mail each day, but I don't always get to read them. Often, the kids get up as soon as I'm out of the shower in the morning, and by naptime I have a long list of things that need to get done before they wake up. The problem is, I feel a difference when I am not reading the bible and/or praying on a regular basis. In order to accomplish my other goals, I have to get this one going first. The only way that I am going to be able to be a good wife and mother is to rely on the Lord and look to Him for knowledge and support.

So, 2015, I will work on this. When I fail, which I will, I will go to bed realizing that I can start fresh the very next day. I don't plan to be a perfect wife or mother. I don't expect a complete change by the end of January. I do expect to give it my best and celebrate the successes.

No comments:

Post a Comment