Sunday, September 28, 2014

Post-Placement Visit #1 (Jake)

Yesterday, we had our first post-placement visit for Jake's adoption. While I wasn't nervous, I was definitely curious what it would entail. It's been three years since we did this for CJ's adoption. This is the first of six visits before we're able to finalize his adoption.

Basically, we just sat down with our social worker and talked about how things are going. She wanted to know how each of us was adjusting to the changes in our family. We talked about both Jake and Alex (even though this visit was specific to Jake). Everything from sleep to diet to attachment was discussed. I felt pretty confident as I answered her questions, although I felt a little guilt when I had to admit that I haven't bonded with Alex as much as I would like. The social worker was very encouraging that I just need to give it time.

She even spent a few minutes talking to CJ about his thoughts and feelings. It was kind of fun hearing him answer her questions. You never know what kids are going to say! Earlier in the conversation, I had shared that Alex took a liking to a little couch we have in the living room. For awhile, that little couch was creating BIG problems between our boys. She asked CJ about the couch; here is the conversation that followed:

CJ - "Sometimes I sit in the middle of the couch so Alex can't sit down. He gets mad at me."
Christina - "Oh, what happens next?"
CJ - "I hit him."

You can't be mad at his honesty.

Tomorrow morning, we meet with our worker for Alex's adoption for the first time. I'm guessing the questions will be about the same, although I think she will probably check out the house a little to be sure that we're following the standards for a foster home. I'll let you know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment