Monday, September 8, 2014

The Power of Words

Over the past four weeks, I have really questioned my parenting ability (along with my sanity). Our family life has been a roller coaster - a few good moments in between a lot of tough ones. It's easy to feel good about yourself when things are going really well, but how do you maintain a level of confidence when you feel like your house is falling apart?

Over the past few weeks, I have found my answer...words of encouragement.

As moms, I think it is vital to hear that we aren't ruining our kids. We need to know that we are doing a good job, no matter how we feel. We need to be told to keep on keepin' on. While it is wonderful to hear that from a spouse, it doesn't always have the same impact. There is something special about hearing it from another mom; someone else who has been in the same trenches and felt as inept, unqualified, etc. as you feel right now.

We, as moms, hold lot of power with our words. We can very quickly cut down, but we can also build up just as fast. I hope that I remember just how helpful it was to hear words of encouragement from my friends as we have adjusted to our family of five. I don't want to forget the moments when a text from a friend helped stopped the tears that were running down my face as all three kids were melting down. I hope that as I talk with moms, I can provide them with the same encouraging words to let them know that they will make it through whatever season they are experiencing.


No comments:

Post a Comment